Friday, August 18, 2006

My Grandfather died today.

My Grandpa died today. He was the last of my grandparents still living. And, I am crushed.

The passing of my last grandparent is hard because, in a way, it signals the end of my childhood.

My grandparents were amazing for me as a kid.

They had a farm that I spent so much of my childhood roaming around on. I watched Grandpa plant crops in the fall, and, in the fall, I sat on the wagon as my family bailed the hay. I made friends with the new young steers every Spring, and I wondered where older onces disappeared to in the Fall.

My grandma taught me how to play poker, dip donuts into coffee, wash and dry dishes by hand, enjoy the smell of lilacs, always be nice to waitresses and clerks at the grocery store, and laugh big.

My grandpa taught me the what it means to work hard, how to be proud of what you accomplished, to always appreciate what you have - no matter how little -, and - shhh - how to swear.

Now - I guess I have to face the fact that I'm an adult. But, even though I have to get older - I don't have to grow up. That much, I also learned from my Grandma.

And- even as the years pass, I don't believe I will ever stop missing my grandparents. Nor, do I believe I ever should have to. I owe them that at the very least.

Grandma & Grandpa - I love you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

And I'm sure they loved you, too.

You do them proud every single day.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home